Re: [Gnumed-devel] Family History tables

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Family History tables
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2011 11:52:14 +0200

On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 06:39:33PM +1000, Elizabeth Dodd wrote:

> > When my sister (who hates my guts - not really) tells her doctor the
> > same information about Maria, does her doctor discover (which maybe
> > my sister and I did not know) that we are both in the same praxis? I
> > would find it very strange after I told my doctor my mother's name
> > and the doctor says "isn't that interesting? I imagine you must have
> > a sibling named Jane Moneypenny?"
>
> After 15 years in the same practice, with the same patients, I am
> finding out that some are sisters, just as you describe.

Isn't it a wonderful world ?

> Just how to handle the family specific health information is an ethical
> nightmare.

That is why it is important to elicit input from many people
(you, Adrian, Richard, Jim) such as to correct my naive,
information-oriented, first attempt at a table structure :-)

Two important concepts have been unearthed so far:

- family history needs to be push, not pull
        ->  consent of relative
- family history needs to be copy-per-patient, not shared
        -> degrees of insanity among related people
        -> lawsuit prevention for GNUmed developers :-)

GPG key ID E4071346 @ gpg-keyserver.de