Re: [Gnumed-devel] Family History tables

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Family History tables
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 09:53:04 +0200

On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 12:28:27PM -0700, Jim Busser wrote:

> >> - non-blood relatives may have significance in terms of
> >> transmissible diseases, however this is best modelled by
> >> identical matches on demographic address (geolocation)
> >
> > This can be entered into "Family" History under an
> > appropriate (non-blood) relationship type.
>
> Such usage, then, generalizes the family history table into a "risk" table

Indeed. Any table can be (re-/ab-)used to serve near
arbitrary purposes.

I am tracking my car repairs making my cars patients ...

> - risk through genetics
> - risk through exposure
>
> this may include to transmissible diseases, also second hand smoke

Sure:

        mother: smoker
        father: smoker

That'd surely be a family history risk for, say,
susceptibility to airway infections in toddlers.

> also risk on psychosocial factors present in the home
>
> The patient could even be made their own risk factor. Smoking? Occupational
> risk?

They could. Although smoking can also be tracked as a
not-approved-of substance intake.

GPG key ID E4071346 @ gpg-keyserver.de