Re: [Gnumed-devel] Document parts display

From: Jim Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Document parts display
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 00:51:04 -0700

On 2011-06-27, at 12:08 AM, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 26, 2011 at 11:22:16PM -0700, Jim Busser wrote:
>
>> so as to indicate (when there is no blob)
>>
>>      (7 Bytes – no attachment)
>
> How can the blob be 7 Bytes in size (m i s s i n g) and yet
> not be there ?
>
> Karsten

Here is what happened: when I double-clicked on the Vietnam 2003 "referral
report", very little happened. Yes, the edit area opened and I could see, in a
part, the Comment

        "Happy schoolgirls enjoying the afternoon sun catching the smile of
passers-by at an ancient bridge in the paddy fields near Hue"

however no word processed or rtf or text or html file opened, nor a photo or
image (which is what this comment sounded like) and I was not sure how to deal
with my inability to visualize whatever had been attached.

This is why I asked what I should be expecting, or what might be the solution,
and I was directed to check logs. All that I could find was the test data
script, seeming to indicate that instead of an actual document or image file,
only the text "missing" was attached which seemed to me a "stub" to avoid to
have to ship an actual document or image in the tarball.

I was not uncertain whether "missing" was a string value intended to serve as
"the blob" or whether it might serve as a logical parameter. I assumed
incorrectly that if "missing" was indeed content, something more than the edit
area should have opened. Nothing opened.

Then I thought "ah, whatever is there is only 7K" and so I thought maybe it is
fully accounted for by the comment

        "Happy schoolgirls enjoying the afternoon sun catching the smile of
passers-by at an ancient bridge in the paddy fields near Hue"

but now I think the truth is that the 7K is accounted for by

        "Happy schoolgirls enjoying the afternoon sun catching the smile of
passers-by at an ancient bridge in the paddy fields near Hue"
+
        "missing"

if each would be saved as a file. I concluded incorrectly that this "referral
document" consisted *only* of the comment but I gather there was also a tiny
blob (a file) containing just the text

        "missing".

What happens on Debian and Ubuntu when this part is double-clicked? Does a
window open to display "missing" in *addition* to the Edit Area window opening?

-- Jim