Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed status 0.9.6 going forward

From: Jim Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed status 0.9.6 going forward
Date: Sun, 03 Jul 2011 00:57:00 -0700

On 2011-06-29, at 2:19 PM, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

>>      add the ability to designate the orgs
>>
>>              pharmacies
>>              labs
>>              radiology suites
>>
>>              … where the patient gets medications or testing, and
>
> This needs finishing the implementation of org handling.
>
> Org handling is one of the two things I would like to
> sufficiently finish for the next release.

When receiving test results under HL7, the segment "MSH" has a field 004

        MSH 004 (Sending Facility) of length 20

which my data broker uses to specify the "Reporting Laboratory" except that the
broker does not supply the expanded names but rather only abbreviations

        BCB = BCBioMedical Laboratories
        MDS = MDS Metro Laboratories
        VML = Valley Medical Laboratories
        GRB = GR Baker Hospital, Quesnel
        SMH-S = StMary’s Hospital, Sechelt
        VCH = Vancouver Coastal Health
        FHAM = Fraser Health

making me wonder whether in GNUmed an org may gain the same "alias" advantages
in the table "names" as people

        dem.identity = pk where gender = N (non-human) and dob is null

        dem.names =
                BCBioMedical Laboratories (active)
                BCB

If the answer is "no" and it would just use

        dem.org
        dem.org_category
        dem.org_unit

then should "BMB" be a description for a dem.org_unit of "BCBioMedical
Laboratories" and might we like to pre-populate v16 databases with some values
in

        dem.org_category

for example

        1= medical praxis
        2 = hospital
        3 = medical laboratory
        4 = medical imaging (radiology)

which does however raise an interesting question when a patient would attend a
laboratory (as an outpatient) that is part of a hospital. Would the lab be a
branch of a "hospital" or would it be a branch of a conceptual but virtual
"Hospital laboratories" ?

-- Jim