Re: [Gnumed-devel] HL7 Importing Lab Results/Contacts

From: Jim Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] HL7 Importing Lab Results/Contacts
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2011 08:23:25 -0700

On 2011-07-06, at 2:25 AM, richard terry wrote:

>> This is partly auto-resolvable from the OBX segment, seq 2 (Value Type),
>> the two-character codes may be [...]

I did say *partly* auto-resolvable.

> [...] Major hospitals here send
> what should be NM results in FT fields as a 'report, akin to getting a biro
> and
> writing the result in the middle of a page of blank paper'. Good luck if you
> choose to be purist. Unfortunately HL7 parsing is about 'exception'
> programming in the real world.

Hopefully, it is understood that even while I am not always happy about the
real world, I do fully-enough comprehend it.

I might have been overly broad, though, when I wrote:

> In the example Richard supplied, wherein a lab transmits the equivalent of an
> ASCII print job, this is not actually a deviation from the standard. The lab
> is "correctly" transmitting textual data in HL7 messages.

This is not *necessarily* a deviation…. what do the offending hospitals supply
as their

        LOINC^Hospital lab result name

in their

        OBX 003 (Observation Identifier)