Re: [Gnumed-devel] How to display your results

From: Jim Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] How to display your results
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2011 13:33:14 -0700

On 2011-07-07, at 11:43 AM, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

>> Can we tidy these up in v16? Renaming
>>
>>      clin.lab_request
>>      --> clin.request
>>
>>      clin.request.lab_request_id
>>      --> clin.request.request_id
>
> This is not a simple renaming but rather a split into
>
>       clin.request
>
> and
>
>       clin.lab_request
>
> and it warrants a lot more followup work than what one would think.

Bearing in mind that you wrote

>> Yep, this should eventually be folded into a generic
>>
>>      clin.request
>>
>> table, wherein lab requests are but one type, indeed.

I am not understanding. What I *could* understand would be a desire to support
"types" of requests inside

        clin.lab_request -- renamed to -- clin.request

which would give rise to a need for

        clin.request_type

!! ??

Is there any issue of people being already-known-to-use clin.lab_request ? Even
if a table name change can be done by an upgrade script, is there a problem of
dependencies in the classes, other python code and GUI that is not easily
renamed?

-- Jim