Re: [Gnumed-devel] How to display your results

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] How to display your results
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2011 23:31:24 +0200

On Thu, Jul 07, 2011 at 01:33:14PM -0700, Jim Busser wrote:

> > This is not a simple renaming but rather a split into
> >
> >     clin.request
> >
> > and
> >
> >     clin.lab_request
> >
> > and it warrants a lot more followup work than what one would think.
>
> Bearing in mind that you wrote
>
> >> Yep, this should eventually be folded into a generic
> >>
> >>    clin.request
> >>
> >> table, wherein lab requests are but one type, indeed.
>
> I am not understanding.

Lab requests want fields which referrals don't care about
one whit (think specimen collection time, sample type, etc).

> What I *could* understand would be a desire to support "types" of requests
> inside
>
>       clin.lab_request -- renamed to -- clin.request
>
> which would give rise to a need for
>
>       clin.request_type

"clin.request table, wherein lab reqests are but one type"
does not necessarily equate to a clin.request.type field in
programmers' terms. There's any number of ways of solving
this reqirement:

        - request.type column
        - create table lab_request () inherts (request)
        - create table lab_request (fk_request integer foreign key request(pk))

> Is there any issue of people being already-known-to-use clin.lab_request ?

Even if there isn't we should, for cleanliness' sake, do a
conversion. We never know who's doing what out there (see
the example from Poland).

GPG key ID E4071346 @ gpg-keyserver.de