[Gnumed-devel] rename Help > Debugging > Lock/unlock patient

From: Jim Busser
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] rename Help > Debugging > Lock/unlock patient
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2011 12:46:35 -0700

The current name makes it sound like the user might (by applying a lock) make
the patient read-only.

What it actually does is to lock the gnumed client *on* the patient so that it
cannot change focus. This disables not only inputting a new search string, but
also disables responding to a selection of a recently-activated patient via
down-cursor option.

This is helpful if you should want to allow a patient to examine parts of their
record without the risk of them being nosy and (while you might be interrupted
by the staff or a phone call) browse around to some family member or other
patient or staff.

I suppose it could also be helpful if you have a medical student or other
health trainee working with you. You might want them to be able to view the
record and maybe even input some notes that they do not save until you are
ready, while ensuring that they cannot – if you get distracted – move away to
some other patient.

I notice it is even possible to lock (prevent searching) at instantiation, when
there is not yet any patient in focus and the search text says

        <type here to search patient>

however

1) is it possible to cause this also to have appended

        (locked)

2) can we relocate the menu function from under Debugging to instead be under

        Tools

3) can we rename it

        Lock/unlock patient search

or

        Lock GNUmed on patient / unlock

4) can we make it that the User must re-authenticate their password to unlock?

-- Jim