Re: [Gnumed-devel] Improvement to Measurements plugin

From: Jim Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Improvement to Measurements plugin
Date: Sat, 06 Aug 2011 12:31:37 -0700

On 2011-08-06, at 9:40 AM, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

> I have asked a naive user what she would expect to happen
> from a button labelled
>
>       [Actions...]
>
> She replied: I would next expect something letting me choose
> an action/show me the available actions.

A couple of clarifications here.

First:

for most people, it is a relatively new experience to be presented with
something that _looks_ like a button which, when clicked on, does not execute
and instead opens to offer suboptions, and – even after selecting such
suboption – onMouseUp) does nothing. Accordingly I improved
        http://wiki.gnumed.de/bin/view/Gnumed/GmManualGuiElements#Buttons

Second:

any GUI benefits maximally when users need not go poking around inside tooltips
and menus to find what they need to understand or to access. Therefore improved
tooltips, while a help, are not  a substitute for better screen objects…

… but maybe part of what I am having trouble with is a limitation in what we so
far know how to provide under wxWidgets. Do we (Karsten, Sebastian, others)
know how to supply a popup object which, on MouseDown, opens to display values
and to allow one to be selected and which, onMouseUp, becomes the value that is
refreshed / displayed in the GUI?

-- Jim