Re: [Gnumed-devel] Simple improvements to Social network

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Simple improvements to Social network
Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2011 20:32:35 +0200

On Sun, Aug 07, 2011 at 09:31:41AM -0700, Jim Busser wrote:

> >> I would suggest that "Free text notes" be moved to the
> >> top,
> >
> > No. Those notes relate to emergency contact information only.
>
> Well… the tab is "Social network".

Initially, that tab did not contain more than emergency
contact information at which time I thought it sufficient to
label the selector field "Emergency contact" and provide a
text control with appropriate tooltip below it to capture
free-text emergency contact information.

Since we now have more fields in said tab I aptly labelled
the field "Emergency notes", derived from your suggestion.

> Is it your intention that the tab is used only for emergency information

No.

> or are you just wanting to have a text area dedicated to
> emergency handling

Well, I do seem to remember that this has very much been
your own suggestion. Nevertheless, why, of course. It was
never actually intended to capture emergency *notes* rather
than a free-from emergency *contact* (since not all contacts
will be in the database). Anyway, regardless of what we
intend this particular text field to be - courtesy of how
the client is coded it will save into

        dem.identity.emergency_contact TEXT

And, yes, that's intentional.

> while agreeing there is value to support
> additional (but non-emergency) info – which may include
> some other free text area such as practical considerations
> about their availability or needs to come to appointments?

I don't exactly follow what you want to say but there's both
dem.identity.comment and inbox messages can be created for
patients (which need better display, that much is agreed).

GPG key ID E4071346 @ gpg-keyserver.de