Re: [Gnumed-devel] Date parsing in Postgres/GNUmed

From: Jim Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Date parsing in Postgres/GNUmed
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2011 09:31:49 -0700

On 2011-08-07, at 10:47 PM, Sebastian Hilbert wrote:

> If not implemented already. Could the date be parsed at input and display
> *live* a long version in the drop down list ?
>
> 1.) input 1/11/1986
>
> 2.) display live while typing the matches 1 Nov 1986, 11 Jan 1986 via drop
> down list / phrasewheel ?

This was already implemented before 0.9.9 in the new person widget.

It is not implemented in Demographics' Born and Deceased dates in 0.9.9 (which
phrasewheel offered yyyy-mm-dd which I found sufficient) but seems to be
present in Git head.

In Git head can be seen a problem where a phrasewheel width (despite being more
generous) seems constrained by the width of the field it is tied to… not enough
room to see the entirely of (which year) the phrasewheel is offering.

Also, it seems to offer repeats… for Kirk I entered (in Demographics) 1/1/87
(not shown in the screenshots) and got

        Thursday, 01 January …
        Thursday, 01 January …
        Thursday, 01 January …

however when I picked each of the above they resolved to

        1987-01-01

So a resolution of the repeats would be helpful and I suggest unless "Born" and
"Deceased" are much wider, maybe for those fields only

        yyyy-mm-dd

should be shown in the phrasewheel? Provided that we reject format yyyy-dd-mm a
*legitimate* alternative… I cannot find yyyy-dd-mm properly referenced anywhere
as accepted by any bodies, it is nowhere among

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Date_format_by_country

and while SQL server *used* to support it, there appeared a resolution in 2007
that it should be deprecated:

http://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/290971/deprecate-the-date-literal-interpretation-yyyy-dd-mm-except-in-compatibility-modes-90

-- Jim

a few other screenshots: