Re: [Gnumed-devel] placeholders in latex

From: Jim Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] placeholders in latex
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2011 23:31:30 -0700

On 2011-08-09, at 1:01 AM, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

>> reference comments in gmMacro.py

1) where it says (right before known_variant_placeholders):

        # those must satisfy the pattern "$<name::args::optional length>$" when
used

can it be improved to

        # the following, when used, must satisfy the pattern
"$<name::args::optional length>$"

??

2) where it says

        There are currently three types of placeholders:

I can see that the first and third are implemented:

        simple static placeholders
                - those are listed in known_placeholders
                - they are used as-is

        variant placeholders
                - those are listed in known_variant_placeholders
                - they are parsed into placeholder, data, and maximum length
                - the length is optional
                - data is passed to the handler

but saw no evidence of the third, is it not yet implemented

        extended static placeholders
                - those are like the static ones but have "::::<NUMBER>"
appended
                  where <NUMBER> is the maximum length

??

3) The latex that results from placeholder

        $<lab_table::latex>$

returns data which it wraps in a table cell in the format

        time     value
        units    min-max range

however the second row is very hard to read for example

        mg/l:0.07-8

… better IMO would be

        mg/l [0.07–8]

so… is it agreeable that we can visually improve this by removing separator ':'
(suggest we instead use a space) and reformat the min-max range strings (of
which there are two, one normal and one clinical in
~/git/gnumed/gnumed/gnumed/client/wxpython/gmMeasurementWidgets.py lines 591
and 599 from

        u'%s - %s'

to instead use square brackets and the en dash '--'  like

        u'[%s--%s]'

??

provided the above characters would be allowable unescaped? LaTex recommends
there be no spaces between the -- and the quantities that are to be 'ranged'.

        reference:
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/LaTeX/Formatting#Dashes_and_Hyphens

4) can we generate demographic placeholders for

        phone
        external id
        province-state
        country
        in-praxis primary

??

5) in ~/git/gnumed/gnumed/gnumed/client/business/gmVaccination.py

the symbol gmTools.u_sum is rather large… see appended screenshots… it might be
possible in line 336 to assign it a smaller format but I am less sure it can be
fixed in the footer and wonder -- in spite of it being cool that we can access
such a character, whether it might be more practical to use an 'n' for total
number of vaccinations?

??

-- Jim

PNG image