Re: [Gnumed-devel] EMR > Show as . . . Summary

From: Jim Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] EMR > Show as . . . Summary
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 05:49:31 -0700

On 2011-08-22, at 2:40 AM, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 21, 2011 at 06:25:15PM -0700, Jim Busser wrote:
>
>> Can we maybe also simply rename some other menu items to match the plug-in
>> names
>>

>>      Current medication --> Medication
>>      Measurements overview --> Measurements
>>      Documents overview --> Documents
>>      Chronological journal --> EMR journal
>
> If you propose losing the information is fine and no one
> else objects -- I don't care.

If one takes a step back, one realizes a 1:1 correspondence between items at
the bottoms of menus, and the plug-ins which the menu items do nothing more
than to evoke.

There exists therefore a tradeoff between using the menu item names to educate
and contextualize the differences in what the various plug-ins do, versus
already knowing what the plug-in is named and looking to match it in the menu
system in order to efficiently access it from the keyboard.

I think the second option (to "match" the names between the menu item and the
visible plugin name) wins out.

This does remind me that there is an inconsistency between what the plugin is
named in the python code (which determines how the plugin appears "named" when
doing GUI-based reconfigurations) and the english name for the plug-in as it
appears along the bottom tab of the screen. Is there a way for the plug-in
selector to be able to access (and therefore display) the names as they show in
the GUI so that the users can more easily recognize the plugins?

-- Jim