[Gnumed-devel] Medication sort order and safety standards

From: Jim Busser
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Medication sort order and safety standards
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2011 17:49:42 -0700

While I did not yet find a source article, I am locally advised that there
exists a medication safety standard which posits better safety when a patient's
list of drugs is sorted by therapeutic classification.

Setting aside that a drug could exist under (and could be used for) more than
one indication, it does make sense to group them according to whatever
classification they happen to be known under.

In the US and Canada, it appears that facilities will use the American Hospital
Formulary System code however since GNUmed supports ATC codes, would it make
sense to offer an additional sort order

        ATC

although -- if we do not wish to consume column space by including the ATC, we
could make the left column

        Brand (by ATC)

??

Ideally (maybe for GNUmed future instead of GNUmed next) it would be clinically
useful to be able to group drugs under their ATC category for example

A Alimentary tract and metabolism
C Cardiovascular system
G Genito urinary system and sex hormones

-- Jim