Re: [Gnumed-devel] Vaccines within branded drugs needs code (and maybe s

From: Jim Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Vaccines within branded drugs needs code (and maybe schema) adjustment?
Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2011 23:57:02 -0700

On 2011-08-30, at 8:02 PM, Jim Busser wrote:

> In the publicly-available Canadian drug directory, vaccines are only
> (potentially) identifiable by their ATC; they share (in common with various
> non-vaccine medications) various preparation types of
>
>       suspension
>       solution
>       liquid
>
> It would be a shame for GNUmed to be unable to properly handle them except
> after their "physical" form (above) would be overwritten with their clinical
> use ("vaccine").
>
> Can GNUmed let the preparation keep its "physical" meaning as above, and
> instead understand as vaccines (and filter into the vaccination widget) those
> Branded drugs which either
>
> - have an ATC beginning J07
> or
> - have a boolean value in a to-be-added column is_vaccine

On further reflection, since known-about vaccines could be computed from among
branded drugs, based on

        clin.vaccine.fk_brand

and / or

        POSITION('J07' in atc_code)=1

am I correct to believe that vaccinations will work fine, even if

        ref.branded_drug.preparation

is something other than 'vaccine' and therefore my concern was not in fact any
problem?

-- Jim