Re: [Gnumed-devel] Consumable substances

From: Jim Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Consumable substances
Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2011 09:54:15 -0700

On 2011-09-05, at 3:47 AM, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

>> in any multiuser praxis would be unlikely to be using the
>> actual server machine. We may be accustomed to local being
>> ok on account of some developers using GNUmed clinically on
>> laptops as standalone machines with no other users
>> connecting.
>
> Hence we either need use of direct SQL or else use the SQL
> copy (we can't use \copy because we don't use psql).

Using the SQL copy (at least from inside psql)

        gnumed_v16=> COPY drug_soundalikes (overlay_syntax) TO
'~/tmp/drugsca/tallman.sql' CSV ;

 resulted in

        ERROR:  must be superuser to COPY to or from a file
        HINT:  Anyone can COPY to stdout or from stdin. psql's \copy command
also works for anyone.
        gnumed_v16=>

which I know was 'COPY TO' but evidently the same restriction applies to
copy-from.

I would prefer to not have to create direct SQL owing to the extra work that
would be required for each update.

Would the use of SQL copy require that

        - the admin has access to the postgres password, or
        - the server has a system account gm-dbo in whose directory the .zip
would be downloaded?

-- Jim