Re: [Gnumed-devel] Vaccine table questions

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Vaccine table questions
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 10:44:37 +0200

On Sun, Sep 11, 2011 at 04:28:47PM -0700, Jim Busser wrote:

> Based on the table definitions in my (few weeks old ) Git clone . . .
>
> 1. On what basis is it possible to know that
>
>       vaccine.id_route
>
> should be defaulting to a value of 1?

There's no basis for that except that id_route=1 means
intramuscular by convention.

Another way to answer this question might be:

        Based on the result of:

                select id from clin.vacc_route where description =
'intramuscular';

both of which then begs the question: why should it default
to "intramuscular". To which one might say "majority of
vaccines".

> 2. Vaccine.is_live refuses null and defaults to FALSE.
> Would it not be better to allow new vaccines to have NULL?

No. It must be either or at the current state of medicine.

> It seems to me that the last thing you would want is human
> failure (through a moment's inattention) to allow a default
> when it could cause a live vaccine to be recorded as
> non-live.

"Most" vaccines will be non-live, currently, but I agree
with the reasoning on clinical grounds. Switched around now.

> Presently, whether or not a vaccine is live does
> not interact with the user.

Except in the vaccine edit area.

GPG key ID E4071346 @ gpg-keyserver.de