Re: [Gnumed-devel] Vaccine table questions

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Vaccine table questions
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 19:21:57 +0200

On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 10:03:54AM -0700, Jim Busser wrote:

> >> 1) Is it ok for two different clin.vaccine records to be
> >> keyed to the same unique branded_drug?
> >
> > Technically it currently is, yes, but I'll remove that by
> > UNIQUEing the fk_brand in clin.vaccine. Thanks for finding
> > that hole.
>
> That isn't reasonable because you can have a single
> product whose substrate (substance in the vial) is
> deliverable by more than one route.

No you can't if you think about it.

Doctor: Nurse, please order 10 packs of vaccine X !
Nurse: OK, which one do you want ? i.m. or s.c. ?
Doctor: Please order 10 packs of vaccine X, will you ?

See ?  If you want to order the product you need to fully
specify it. The route of application has become an attribute
of the product specification. Yes, this is braindead, thanks
to the drug company, they should have done it for you by
offering two products

        VaccXim

and

        VaccXsc     (speak: VaccsEsc)

Now, wait, there's the flaw in my thinking. I can just see
the vial now which says "you can apply this either i.m. or
s.c. whichever way you deem appropriate". And it is just one
vial.

OK, I'll let fk_brand be non-unique but I've got a nagging
feeling that this will blow up one way or another
eventually. At which point we'll turn id_route into an array
of integer.

GPG key ID E4071346 @ gpg-keyserver.de