Re: [Gnumed-devel] Demographic address labelling "Place"

From: Jim Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Demographic address labelling "Place"
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2011 07:56:23 -0700

On 2011-09-17, at 3:00 AM, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

> We need a term which encompasses
>
>       - city
>       - town
>       - village
>
> In German we use "Ort" (Location).

In German, it is natural to ask

        ~ In what 'Ort' do you live?

and is the answer reliably at the level we are talking, and not – say – an
answer which is in fact

        neighbourhood
        part of the city
        geographic area within the state / province (e.g. 'county')

What I am now thinking is that 'Town (as currently exists for Add/Edit within
Demographics) is at least intermediate in size, and hints at both village and
city, and may be acceptable?

The other thought is Urb, which evokes urban. It even has a *bit* of mainstream
use, for example, as a name for a monthly American magazine devoted to
electronic music, hip hop and urban lifestyle and culture.

Shall I ask a local list of english-speaking doctors a preference? I am sure
they may prefer one among {Town, Urb} to 'Place'.

-- Jim