[Gnumed-devel] Postgres query / display speed was Re: Release Candidate

From: Jim Busser
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Postgres query / display speed was Re: Release Candidate 1.0.rc3
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2011 18:02:28 -0700

Under

        Medications plugin
        Add / edit
        Brands

the display of my 13,000 brands requires 30 seconds to build (debugging mode)
and 27 seconds (non-debugging). Vacuuming seemed to make little difference (an
imprecisely-timed 25 seconds).

The above is despite having the db locally on same machine, a 6-month old
MacBook Pro. I am guessing that on a server it would take longer.

Maybe it is not a relevant test, because a user would not (normally) want to
display 13,000 results however with lab tests there could easily be hundreds of
results in a patient which needed to be displayed, maybe thousands.

Is the speed (slowness) a reflection of (not) having an index that corresponds
to what the GUI is wanting?

Is it the nature of the join?

-- Jim