Re: [Gnumed-devel] still having a hard time with address input and Searc

From: Jim Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] still having a hard time with address input and Search
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2011 18:46:44 -0700

On 2011-09-23, at 2:20 PM, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

> BTW I forgot to say that I think it's a good idea to not auto-fill
> the number / unit from a searched address. Will implement that.
>
> That will lead to users having to fill that in before being able
> to save the address.

Is it true that there is no readily-implementable way to differentiate two use
cases:

1) new patient is cohabiting at an existing (other patient's) address

        e.g. room-mate
        e.g. family member

        ---> here the need to re-enter the number and unit is
                extra work and risks key entry error

2) new patient is living or working near existing patient but not in same
number / unit

        ---> here it is important that the number and unit are not auto-filled

The balance is a tradeoff between add-on cohabitants per residential "unit" in
the praxis (which case favors re-use of full addresses, unchanged) against the
number of different units which either already exist (or need to be created)
*per* postal code within the praxis.

The latter is very likely greater which (together with reducing wrong data
overall) further supports what you have decided, assuming only one or the other
can be managed.

This assumes there is no way for the user to "inform" GNUmed to auto-fill,
unless these can be held in memory for a second-stage command.

Um... can the number and address support down-arrow to show existing values
(number) related to the selected postal code?

And units to this number?

-- Jim