Re: [Gnumed-devel] Data pack for ICD-9 :-)

From: Jim Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Data pack for ICD-9 :-)
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2011 13:02:40 -0700

On 2011-09-27, at 11:39 AM, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

> I agree ("any one language - same code/term not multiple times in the
> reference table") but I fail the see the connection with the above
> statement (we want to search on codes) ?

I am looking for the method by which to manage (prevent)

>       ("any one language - same code/term not multiple times in the
>       reference table")

at the same time as deciding on why (and how to best) host multiple language
versions of the same code in coding.

Maybe there should be *no* term in

        ref.icd9

but only the fk and pk and code, instead normalizing each per-language term into

        ref.Icd9_terms

                fk_icd9_code
                language
                term

and filtering of the terms that are to appear in the phrasewheel can be on
language-per-locale.

Consider – as a use-case for terms in more than one language – a multi- or
mixed-lingual free-clinic volunteer praxis (say english, french, chinese
simplified)

My command of these languages is not equal. When my francophone colleague has
been managing her familiar-to-her patient with hypertension, then I expect that
when my colleague performed code attachments, she would rather that her search
on codes for

        hyperten

would yield

        401     Hypertension artérielle essentielle
        402 Cardiopathie hypertensive
        403 Néphropathie hypertensive
        404 Cardiopathie hypertensive et la maladie rénale
        405 L'hypertension secondaire

not

        401 Essential hypertension
        401     Hypertension artérielle essentielle
        402 Hypertensive heart disease
        402 Cardiopathie hypertensive
        402 高血圧性心疾患
        403 Hypertensive renal disease
        403 Néphropathie hypertensive
        403 高血圧性腎疾患
        404 Hypertensive heart and renal disease
        404 Cardiopathie hypertensive et la maladie rénale
        404 高血圧、心臓と腎臓疾患
        405 Secondary hypertension
        405 L'hypertension secondaire
        405 二次性高血圧

or, if searching on '401'

        401 Essential hypertension
        401     Hypertension artérielle essentielle
        401     原发性高血压

and when I am searching to attach a code in the same praxis I want to see not
the duplicated list above but

        401 Essential hypertension
        402 Hypertensive heart disease
        403 Hypertensive renal disease
        404 Hypertensive heart and renal disease
        405 Secondary hypertension

and when I look at her patient's coded issues, must I see

        2506    Diabète avec troubles circulatoires périphériques
        3651    Glaucome à angle ouvert
        401     Hypertension artérielle essentielle
        78039   Crise convulsive NS
        7893    Gonflement abdominal ou pelvien, masse ou bosse

or (in the case of the japanese-coded patient)

        2506    糖尿病末梢循环障碍
        3651    开角型青光眼
        401     原发性高血压
        78039   未另作规定的抽搐扣押
        7893    腹部或骨盆肿胀,肿块或肿块

or could I better see

        2506    Diabetes with peripheral circulatory disorders
        3651    Open-angle glaucoma
        401     Essential hypertension
        78039   Convulsive seizure or fit NOS
        7893    Abdominal or pelvic swelling, mass or lump

Likewise if this patient were to need care outside the praxis, to be able to
export into the PDF the codes in a language of choice. I expect this would be
easier if the language-translated terms had been normalized.

??

-- Jim