Re: [Gnumed-devel] Consumable substance 'strength' unaccepting of radion

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Consumable substance 'strength' unaccepting of radionucleides
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2011 10:57:51 +0200

On Sun, Oct 02, 2011 at 05:19:15PM -0700, Jim Busser wrote:

> It appears that Canada does not put its radionucleides into its downloadable
> drug tables, however the US FDA does.
>
> As it turns out, the dosage delivered by a capsule of radionucleide e.g.
>
>       Iodine 131
>
> varies depending on how it is used.

Can you define "how it is used" ?

> It can deliver a range of MBq or mCi for example
>
>       3.5-150 mCi / Vial
>
> but the GNUmed column presently permits only a single value (and not a range).

1) GNUmed does not model bioavailability.

        no one knows how much of Ibuprofen 600mg actually enters
        the patient system

2) GNUmed is not a treatment planning system

        hence the "how it is used" turns into "how it was
        used" hence the dose can be known (if so desired)

3) Documenting Iodine 131 loading may be useful.

        documenting the exact dose in computable form may not be
        necessary and my be added in a comment field

GPG key ID E4071346 @ gpg-keyserver.de