[Gnumed-devel] Numberless addresses

From: Jim Busser
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Numberless addresses
Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2011 23:14:07 -0700

In rural areas, the method of addressing can be (for example)

        RR6

for 'Rural Route 6' where the entity falls within a city / community / urb so
probably fits closest in concept to

        street

however there is then no actual 'number' to input for the street 'address'.

I suppose we are here talking about a mailing / shipping paradigm which does
not exactly map to the concept involved in something like a 'building number'.
Such mailing addresses, despite that the community (urb) and postal remain
relevant,  do not exactly fit.

Neither, though, do they fit with phone and cel and email 'channels' !

Since it remains essential to be able to store such addresses, then what I am
thinking is:

1) mailing address still fits best with physical addresses

2) since GNUmed requires the 'number' to be non-null, I should put in an empty
string

        ''
which I can try to do via psql in a batch, however how would a user cope with
this in the GUI?

-- Jim