Re: [Gnumed-devel] Problems dumping database (Mac limitation on su -c)

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Problems dumping database (Mac limitation on su -c)
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2011 20:22:41 +0100

On Mon, Nov 07, 2011 at 06:50:50PM +0000, Jim Busser wrote:

>>> Since AFAIK tar is lossless, do 'we want' uncompressed to
>>> avoid slowing the generation of the backup (i.e. no
>>> objection to lossless compression,
>>
>> Anything else would be absurd.
>
> Just confirming that the choice of uncompressed (instead of compressed)
> archives was deliberate.

GNUmed did not choose uncompressed instead of compressed. It
chose to separate both steps.

Note also that compressed vs uncompressed bears no mandatory
relation to lossless or lossy.

> Is the reason because if one would employ gnotary to
> obtain a signed hash, one wants the hash to reflect the
> uncompressed archive instead of a further-altered
> (compressed) version?

No. While something to think about this was not the reason
to separate the steps.

GPG key ID E4071346 @ gpg-keyserver.de