[Gnumed-devel] When table column in postgres has been named 'group'

From: Busser, Jim
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] When table column in postgres has been named 'group'
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2011 02:31:32 +0000

When I do in psql

        \d+ cfg.v_cfg_options

I note

                    View "cfg.v_cfg_options"
     Column      |  Type   | Modifiers | Storage  | Description
-----------------+---------+-----------+----------+-------------
 option          | text    |           | extended |
 description     | text    |           | extended |
 owner           | name    |           | plain    |
 workplace       | text    |           | extended |
 cookie          | text    |           | extended |
 type            | text    |           | extended |
 group           | text    |           | extended |
 pk_cfg_template | integer |           | plain    |
 pk_cfg_item     | integer |           | plain    |
View definition:
 SELECT cfg_t.name AS option, cfg_t.description, cfg_i.owner, cfg_i.workplace,
cfg_i.cookie, cfg_t.type, cfg_t.cfg_group AS "group", cfg_t.pk AS
pk_cfg_template, cfg_i.pk AS pk_cfg_item
   FROM cfg.cfg_template cfg_t, cfg.cfg_item cfg_i
  WHERE cfg_i.fk_template = cfg_t.pk;

and I can do

        select owner, workplace, option, cookie, type from cfg.v_cfg_options
order by owner, workplace, option;

and I can do

        select * from …

but if I try to include the column named 'group' I get

        gnumed_v16=> select group from cfg.v_cfg_options ;
        ERROR: syntax error at or near "group"
        LINE 1: select group from cfg.v_cfg_options ;
                                ^
        gnumed_v16=>

??

-- Jim