Re: [Gnumed-devel] Brasil cities and states (demographics)

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Brasil cities and states (demographics)
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2011 10:44:30 +0100

> Well , its just that it is not that easy
>
> Say the doc types Paranagua (no accent), if he does not know the correct
> accentuation of the city he will never find it correct?
>
> Will a new entry be needed for every city? Can't the DB be told to
> search for a ã á when typed "a" ?

It can. That would need:

- a database function unaccent() and checking whether that does
  what is required

- identification of the SQL queries (in the client code and possibly
  in other, GNUmed-supplied database functions) that need
  application of said unaccent() function

Ideally, patches would be most welcome (or a pull request) but
short of that I'd also accept the above information and take care
of modifying the code myself.

BTW, a poor man's accenter would be to store, say, states without
accents and "translate" them to, say, pt_BR by *adding* the accents:

This works because the phrasewheel searches for the translated as
well as the original, untranslated, "English" string in most cases one
of which would then be unaccented. Where it doesn't it can be made so
w/o that much effort ;-)