[Gnumed-devel] Report generator design / limitations

From: Busser, Jim
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Report generator design / limitations
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2011 02:36:08 +0000

Presently, if I want to input a doctor's name and address inside the top of a
letter, I need to

- go to a web site where such addresses are listed
- look up the individual
- copy the information (which is not suitably formatted) into a text editor or
into the free text placeholder of a GNUmed latex document
- edit the details

even despite that I had already imported 10,000 records with this same
information into GNUmed's dem.org tables.

My preferred solutions would be:

- eventual development of a GNUmed

        clin.provider
        clin.provider_type
        clin.lnk_prov_patient

        (with support for placeholders)

- as a stopgap measure, to be able to select a provider (from among orgs) and
to access some way to be able to copy a string

        Org identifying information
        Org Address information

to the clipboard for pasting into a template. In the past month or two, Karsten
showed screenshots of a display / edit widget that may allow to manage Org
information and maybe that would nicely support such a function via button.

In the meantime I wondered if I could achieve it as a stored query however when
(in the Report generator) I try

        SELECT 'line 1' || E'\n' || 'line2' ;

what I see in the results display is

        line1<LF>line2

which is anyway not copiable to the clipboard. So maybe the report generator
provides no answer to what I am seeking. Is the display / edit widget anything
that could be implemented in the next 2- 4 months?

-- Jim