[Gnumed-devel] Demographics name 'Remove' not working (and other improve

From: Busser, Jim
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Demographics name 'Remove' not working (and other improvements)
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2011 21:06:06 +0000

1) Remove not working

In a record, I did as follows:

- cloned a name and made this the active name

- tried to 'Remove' one of the other names:

        - click Remove
        - editor opens (I am not sure why)
        - I click 'ok'
        - the editor closes, but nothing happens

- tried to remove the active name

        - same as above
        - assuming the above gets fixed, I would expect the following events:

        - if it is the active patient selected, one of:

        (a)     a beep, plus a status message as appropriate:

                if there exists only one name:

                        Cannot delete the only name of a person

                else

                        First alter another name value to be 'active'

2) re button

                Clone and edit

- one cannot in fact achieve a clone (I appreciate the button intends the word
as a verb) … what happens is:

        GNUmed initiates a cloning *process*
        GNUmed offers, in an editing window, a virtual-but-unsaved clone

        if the user makes no changes and clicks 'OK' --> nothing happens
        --> I suggest there should at minimum be a beep and status info

        if the user alters the nickname or comment, the original is edited

        if the user alters the surname or first names, the original is copied

However I do not think that the word 'clone' helps. It is simpler to provide
that which users are accustomed to

        Add             Edit            Remove

wherein the idea was maybe (as a precaution) to keep the earlier version of the
name and make the user delete it, however this is making extra work when there
may be no need for the earlier spelling (if incorrect) to be kept. I understand
that part of the design may be to protect a praxis from users (doctors and
staff) who might fail to think carefully about whether to keep original names
versions but these names would still exist in the audit tables so it truly is
excessive. Here is what I would suggest:

        - relabel the button from 'Clone and Edit' to 'edit'
        - relabel the resulting window title
        - add a checkbox (default on)

                [  ] keep listed a copy of the original names / spelling

and, if the user unchecks it, then no extra copy will be needed thus saving the
extra step of having to delete it.

-- Jim