Re: [Gnumed-devel] boostrap on openSUSE

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] boostrap on openSUSE
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2011 18:33:39 +0100

> > > It cannot create and therefore write to /var/log/gnumed/server
> > >
> > > When manually creating that directory it works
> >
> > This seems to indicate that the RPM needs improvement.
> >

> Why would it indicate that ?
>
> It indicates that gm_boostrap wants to write in that directory and does
> not
> check if it is there ?
>
> It could create that directory if it was missing

The bootstrap-latest.sh script does not assume a log directory. It
uses ./ unless GM_LOG_BASE is set:

if test ! -n "${GM_LOG_BASE}" ; then
        GM_LOG_BASE="."
fi ;

Hence GM_LOG_BASE must be getting set elsewhere, namely to
/var/log/gnumed/server/ which, all in all, seems sensible.

I would think it reasonable for the script to assume that a
directory passed to it would exist, no ?

Unless I am mistaken Debian policy would also support not blindly
creating directories all over the place (as instructed, that is).

AFAIR I had an exchange with Andreas about the Debian packages
and I seem to remember some agreement that the log file should NOT
by default be generated in ./ but rather somewhere known in case of
an absent GM_LOG_BASE.