[Gnumed-devel] Simplifying user updates (from tarballs)

From: Busser, Jim
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Simplifying user updates (from tarballs)
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2011 18:16:32 +0000

I am using GNUmed without the luxury of OS-specific releases and in case the
approach that I follow is of any use to anybody I thought I would post it.

For my own needs, I download all new official release tarballs into the user
account default /Downloads folder to keep things simple and consistent. I then
need to

1) replace its config file with a copy of what I had been previously using
(which will break if the requirements of the config file change, but hopefully
such changes will have been announced).

2) replace the wxGlade panel in which the field order for new patient addresses
is specified, because in Canada I am often inputting

        Unit    Number
        Street
        City Province
        Postal

3) also remove any already-compiled .pyc file in case it had been already built
from the default panel

4) I need to perform this in each of two copies, one in my laptop's main user
account, and another in a second account more suited to my hospital
environment, so I keep copies of the above files in the top level of the Shared
account/directory where all may read/write and I then run the following from
the command line, after replacing (for example)

        1.1.6 with 1.1.7

cd ~/Downloads/
wget http://www.gnumed.de/downloads/client/1.1/gnumed-client.1.1.7.tgz
tar xf gnumed-client.1.1.7.tgz
cd ~/Downloads/gnumed-client.1.1.7/client
cp /Users/Shared/gm-from-vcs.conf .
rm ./wxGladeWidgets/wxgNewPatientEAPnl.pyc
cp /Users/Shared/wxgNewPatientEAPnl.py ./wxGladeWidgets

-- Jim