Re: [Gnumed-devel] Built in sript for medication

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Built in sript for medication
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2011 14:58:04 +0100

On Sunday, December 11, 2011 12:31:29 PM address@hidden wrote:
> Hi
> Adding individual brand name is a labourous work. This can be expediated if
> the gnumed has built in script to import  comma seperated list or a list in
> open document format. Is it possible?

It is not yet included. It is posisble but there would need to be an importer
written which parses the file and put the values into the database.

For that very reason the concept of data packs was invented in GNUmed. One
data pack is essentially a number of SQL statements which put stuff into the
database.

Currently the list of medication you need would have to be converted into a
data pack. Jim here on this list has recently gotten quite a lot of exposure
to this way of putting data into the database.

Medication rarely changes. So this would be a one time effort.

There are a few way how you could attempt this.

1.) Compile a list of medications yourself
2.) find some source (e.g. drug database or export from freediams drug
database)

Then this list would have to be converted into a data pack.

I fully understand that you are looking for an easy way to e.g. export an
Excel file. This can be done but is a lot of effort for a one-time feature.
Checking new content against existing content is not as easy as it seems. So
my feeling is that while it sure is a desirable feature you would have to find
coding ressources yourself (or talk to Jim :-))

Another option would be to talk to Eric from FreeDiams about creating a drug
database which can be used inside FreeDiams. That way you could use the import
from FreeDiams which exists already.

Since your effort could potentially benefit many I would go the FreeDiams
route,
get your drug data into FreeDiams and import into GNUmed.

Let us know which route you would like to go.

I would be great if you could file a 'whishlist bug' on Launchpad. That way if
some coder comes by looking for ways to help GNUmed she could pick up your
wishlist item.

Sebastian