Re: [Gnumed-devel] letterhead

From: Busser, Jim
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] letterhead
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2011 17:16:22 +0000

On 2011-12-30, at 6:56 AM, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

> I really like this plan. You may want to get into contact
> with Jim who I know has also been designing a letter
> template for his uses.

So far, I have developed this set of elements

  latex_head.tex
  latex_ribbon_prompt_inside_addr.tex
  latex_ribbon_prompt_narrative.tex
  latex_ribbon_patientid_0.tex
  latex_ribbon_patientid_phone_m.tex
  latex_ribbon_patientid_phone_h.tex
  latex_ribbon_patientid_phone_w.tex
  latex_ribbon_patientid_z_phn.tex
  latex_ribbon_patientid_z_va_mrn.tex
  latex_ribbon_patientid_zz_end.tex
  latex_ribbon_allergy_long.tex
  latex_ribbon_medicationlist.tex
  latex_ribbon_medicationtable.tex
  latex_ribbon_vaccinations.tex
  latex_ribbon_problem_list.tex
  latex_ribbon_problems.tex
  latex_ribbon_measurements.tex
  latex_ribbon_narr_soap_12.tex
  latex_ribbon_prompt_soaP.tex
  latex_ribbon_trailsignaturenostamp.tex
  latex_tail.tex

from which to assemble my templates. Each template is achieved as a concatenation of

  latex_head.tex
  <any desired combination of the above 'ribbons'>
  latex_tail.tex

where the 'tail' is really just the statement

        \end{document}

My current header and footer are defined in latex_head as:

  % set page style, first page headers, footers and separator line thickness:
  \usepackage{fancyhdr} % fancy headers
  \pagestyle{fancy}
  \fancyhf{} % clear defaults / previous style definitions
  \lhead{\scriptsize
  % production configure header values
  VGH Internal Medicine\\
  2775 Laurel St, 7th floor Stn 3\\
  Vancouver, BC VA  V5Z 1M9}
  \chead{\bfseries
  Dr James Busser, \scriptsize {MD FRCPC\\}}
  \rhead{\raggedleft \scriptsize
  Tel (604) 875-5943\\
  Fax (604) 676-2224\\
  {\href{mailto:address@hidden@ubc.ca}}}
  }
  \lfoot{}
  \cfoot{}
  \renewcommand{\footrulewidth}{0.5pt}

  \lfoot{\tiny
  Prepared using: {\href {http://www.gnumed.org}{GNUmed}} $<client_version>$\\
  Template: placeholderTemplateFileSpec
  }

  \rfoot{
  % production Uncomment:
  {\tiny printed $<today::%d %b %Y>$ by $<current_provider>$}\\
  page \thepage\ of \pageref{LastPage}
  }
  %

after which I clear the content-heavy header -- and define a simpler header for pages 2 ... n -- through use of the \afterpage command which empties the header *and* footer (which is why you see the footer redefined despite that its content is identical to the above first-page footer):

  \begin{document}
  %
  % establish the next (i.e. new) header for pages 2 through end:
  % don't use \clearpage here, as it would prematurely lose the praxis header
  % use \afterpage, where {} effectively empties the element
  \afterpage{\lhead{ }}
  \afterpage{\chead{re: $<lastname>$, $<firstname>$\\
  DOB $<date_of_birth::%Y %B %d>$}}
  \afterpage{\rhead{$<current_provider>$ \\
  $<current_provider_external_id::Designation//BC.CA_MSP>$}}
  \afterpage{\lfoot{\tiny
  Prepared using: {\href {http://www.gnumed.org}{GNUmed}} $<client_version>$\\
  Template: placeholderTemplateFileSpec
  }}

  % output the current date and insert a line of vertical space:
  \today
  \vspace

-- Jim