Re: [Gnumed-devel] letterhead

From: Busser, Jim
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] letterhead
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2011 17:28:29 +0000

On 2011-12-30, at 9:16 AM, Jim Busser wrote:

> So far, I have developed this set of elements
>
>  latex_head.tex
>  latex_ribbon_prompt_inside_addr.tex
>  latex_ribbon_prompt_narrative.tex
>  latex_ribbon_patientid_0.tex
>  latex_ribbon_patientid_phone_m.tex
>  latex_ribbon_patientid_phone_h.tex
>  latex_ribbon_patientid_phone_w.tex
>  latex_ribbon_patientid_z_phn.tex
>  latex_ribbon_patientid_z_va_mrn.tex
>  latex_ribbon_patientid_zz_end.tex
>  latex_ribbon_allergy_long.tex
>  latex_ribbon_medicationlist.tex
>  latex_ribbon_medicationtable.tex
>  latex_ribbon_vaccinations.tex
>  latex_ribbon_problem_list.tex
>  latex_ribbon_problems.tex
>  latex_ribbon_measurements.tex
>  latex_ribbon_narr_soap_12.tex
>  latex_ribbon_prompt_soaP.tex
>  latex_ribbon_trailsignaturenostamp.tex
>  latex_tail.tex
>
> from which to assemble my templates. Each template is achieved as a
> concatenation of
>
>  latex_head.tex
>  <any desired combination of the above 'ribbons'>
>  latex_tail.tex

self-commeting BTW there exists a limitation that -- for any placeholder that
fails to resolve -- you end up with a final document containing one or more
instances of the equivalent of

        <No placeholder value>

which IMO does not look very professional. It is the reason why I have found it
necessary (before writing a letter) to first determine which combination of the
following exists for the current patient:

        mobile phone
        home phone
        work phone

        Personal health number
        Vancouver Acute medical record number (this is a hospital chart number)

and then selecting one of *12* templates that suits the combination in order to
avoid the annoying instance(s) of <No placeholder value>.

I don't know (and don't imagine, but could be wrong) whether LaTex supports a
conditional statement wherein, if something would be empty, the object would be
'dropped' from the report.

In GNUmed-future, it might be nice to have a panel which -- at the time of
writing a letter -- permits to select one or more ribbons, essentially allowing
to write a template on-the-fly. Perhaps such a template does not even need to
be permanently stored. I don't know that it should be required to *regenerate*
a previously-generated document when the original should have been stored with
the patient. ??

-- Jim