Re: [Gnumed-devel] Usage of GNU-med for TCM

From: John Jaarsveld
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Usage of GNU-med for TCM
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2012 13:29:20 +0100

Karsten Hilbert schreef op di 28-02-2012 om 12:56 [+0100]:
> > I have been using GNUmed for my acupuncture practice for a while, which
> > I wouldn't consider "alternative medicine", but well...
>
> There's certainly strong evidence for (even sham-) acupuncture
> in chronic back pain and arthrosis related pain of the knee.
>
> Also, since China has not become depopulated over the last, what,
> three thousand years, there's at least strong indications of
> usefulness for TCM (full TCM, that is, not westernized parts thereof).

I appologize if the meaning of what I wrote was unclear. I practice
Traditional Chinese Medicine myself, although I specialize in a specific
branch, and have not doubts at all of it's usefullness.

What I meant to hint at is, as you rightfully pointed out yourself, TCM
in it's many forms and varieties has been used for a long, long time and
in a great area and on a great many of people. So to call it
"alternative" is a bit odd to me, that is all.
But yes, I know and understand that in some countries (including my own)
it is often grouped under that label.

Sorry for the confusion.
John