Re: [Gnumed-devel] Clinical reminders

From: Busser, Jim
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Clinical reminders
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2012 01:32:06 +0000

On 2012-03-04, at 3:50 PM, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

> This is GNUmed showing a clinical reminder.
>
> Reminders are inbox messages with a non-null due date.
>
> When a patient is activated, GNUmed checks for inbox
> messages with a due date < now and an expiry date of NULL
> or > now. If it finds any it will show a popup like in
> the screenshot.
>
> Note, in the background, how the patient overview shows the
> messages which are due listed in red at the top of the
> Reminders: list.

I mostly like it, but I was not clear on where in GNUmed we would be storing
per-patient clinical reminders.

Is a "reminder" a reminder of a "to do" item?

Are "to do" items to be thought about as either

        a) auto-generated (e.g. from clinical decision support) or
        b) explicit, per-patient to dos

and do these best live in the inbox?

We have had some discussion of inbox vs waiting list. One idea would be that
the waiting list should only be for patients waiting for appointments, although
a variety of to-dos are in fact nicely manageable using the zone system (which
inbox does not offer).

So while it is sounding as though GNUmed v 1.2x (client) will gain new inbox
item functionality like

        due date
        expiration date

and while I agree that such attributes are needed for to-do items, is the
concept compatible with an Inbox? The difficulty that I am having is because,
to me and maybe others,  an Inbox is something we are supposed to "clear". It
is not normally a place to "leave things" until done including things that are
not to be done except in the future.

??

-- Jim