Re: [Gnumed-devel] Client's detection of new releases broken - is uscan

From: Andreas Tille
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Client's detection of new releases broken - is uscan also broken?
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2012 10:05:00 +0200

Hi,

On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 10:13:36PM +0000, Busser, Jim wrote:
> Not yet commented-on was this portion of my report:
>
>       On 2012-03-28, at 7:20 PM, Jim Busser wrote:
>
> >     Currently I have
> >
> >             1.1.7
> >
> >     but it does not detect the existence of 1.1.12.
>
> More specifically, what I had done was to manually select, from the GNUmed
> menu, to check for updates and this I did while I had an active internet
> connection, and my 1.1.2 client reported that it was up to date.
>
> I was figuring it was possible that the change of case in the source tarball
> might explain the failure.
>
> Maybe uscan is not broken, I only asked the question because certainly my
> client was no longer picking up the newer versions.

$ uscan --verbose
-- Scanning for watchfiles in .
-- Found watchfile in ./debian
-- In debian/watch, processing watchfile line:
   http://wiki.gnumed.de/bin/view/Gnumed/InstallerGuideHomeShort
http://www.gnumed.de/downloads/client/[\d\.]+/gnumed-client\.([\d\.]+)\.tgz
-- Found the following matching hrefs:
     http://www.gnumed.de/downloads/client/1.1/gnumed-client.1.1.12.tgz
Newest version on remote site is 1.1.12, local version is 1.1.12
 => Package is up to date
-- Scan finished

So the watch file seems to be perfectly OK and uscan does its work.
However, I'm afraid you are mixing up things here.  Uscan is to inform
the Debian *developer* about new upstream versions.

I have no idea what you mean by "... my 1.1.2 client reported that ...".

Are you talking about any GNUmed client feature?  This is barely basing
on uscan or the watch file information.  Or are you talking about your
update mechanism of the distribution you are using which is not
detecting new package versions?  In this case it also has nothing to
do with uscan but rather with your configuration what releases should
be regarded (/etc/apt/sources.list and /etc/apt/preferences).

Hope this helps

       Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de