Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed on MacOSX

From: Busser, Jim
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed on MacOSX
Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 07:08:10 +0000

On 2012-05-14, at 11:05 PM, Sebastian Hilbert wrote:

> I keep getting asked if GNUmed runs on Mac OS. I always say sure but ...
>
> Casual Mac users often would like not to be bothered with MacPorts and
> friends.

Presently AFAICT, it is no longer possible to run wxWidgets natively on Mac
unless it is an old (Power PC) Mac or still using 10.5 Leopard (instead of 10.6
Snow Lion or current 10.7 Lion).

I am using 10.6 Snow Leopard, and am soon to move up to 10.7 Lion, and so am
only able to get GNUmed running under X11 and this gives some very frustrating
behaviours:

- active letters (menu shortcuts) do not work
- some GUI objects such as scroll bar sliders are unresponsive
- some tabbing and especially reverse (shift) tabbing are erratic
- auto-sizing is not working properly and as a result windows open too small to
be able to see some objects, such as in Past HIstory entry dialog the
checkboxes for Active and Relevant

All of the above make it hard to recommend GNUmed on Mac OS.

This does not stop me to use it, mainly because it is important to at least
know that new releases of GNUmed continue to at least be usable on Mac OS and
because I have been satisfied to put up with the pain instead of always using a
VM.

-- Jim