Re: [Gnumed-devel] 1.2 rc4

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] 1.2 rc4
Date: Wed, 23 May 2012 09:37:13 +0200

On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 12:23:52AM +0000, Jim Busser wrote:

> What I am about to describe is no new problem, but I noticed when Editing a
> progress note (via EMR tree) that the dialog offers the buttons:
>
>       Cancel          Edit    Delete
>
> which results in the situation, after the user edited the progress note and
> clicked "Save", in returning to a dialog that offers:
>
>       Cancel          Edit    Delete
>
> and so the only way that the user can exit this dialog is
> to click "Cancel" but this is ambiguous. The user cannot, at
> this point, cancel the edit since the edit was already made
> and saved.

And, of course, that is not what that list offers, strictly
speaking. That list says "Manage progress notes" in the
window title. And that's what the user can indeed cancel.

After the user

        - selected a note
        - hit [EDIT] on that note
        - edited the note
        - hit [SAVE] on the edit
        - came back to selection of a note

why in the world would they expect that [CANCEL]ling the
*selection* (as in the first step above) would *revert*
their previous edit ? That doesn't make sense to me at all.

> because after the original right-mouse click to enter this dialog, the user
> can click
>
>       OK (to accept what is there. Basically, they are changing their mind
> about editing)
>
> and this same button OK would remain appropriate even after the user would
> have edited something.

That's an alternate valid thought model.

I have brought back the [OK] button but I won't remove
the [CANCEL] button.

GPG key ID E4071346 @ gpg-keyserver.de