Re: [Gnumed-devel] timeline plugin

From: Busser, Jim
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] timeline plugin
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2012 22:22:10 +0000

On 2012-06-21, at 1:25 PM, Sebastian Hilbert wrote:

> Hi all,

> http://thetimelineproj.sourceforge.net/

I like their approach to versioning, which is similar to ours but a bit more
explicit as to the difference between a minor release and a major release.

In Timeline, they increment the "X" in "X.Y.Z" each time the new version is no
longer compatible with previous versions. We have really only ever incremented
our "Y", which are incompatible with the previous version because in addition
to new features or functionality, a database version update has almost always
been involved and which makes the previous X.Y client usually incompatible with
the new database. The new X.Y client is always incompatible with the old
database.

http://thetimelineproj.hg.sourceforge.net/hgweb/thetimelineproj/main/raw-file/tip/STATUS

A note about version numbers

Timeline uses a three-component version numbering system (X.Y.Z).

Z is only incremented when bugs are corrected or translations are updated. The
functionality of the program is the same for all X.Y versions.

Y is incremented every time a new feature is added.

X is incremented when the new version is no longer compatible with previous
versions or when the program undergoes some big change or significant
milestone.

-- Jim