Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed access permissions

From: Jim Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed access permissions
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2012 08:30:20 -0700

On 2012-06-19, at 7:46 AM, Jim Busser wrote:

> On 2012-06-18, at 8:04 AM, Karsten Hilbert wrote:
>
>> I have pushed code into gitorious.org which implements a
>> non-clinical staff account.

Patient care often needs the exchange of documents and if it must always be the
doctor or clinician level worker who takes care of it (as a result of access
restrictions) then IMO that would be an inefficient (poor) use of this category
of person's time.

I am thinking about the situation where one doctor's office phones another,
asking for information. Setting aside authenticating the legitimacy of the
"requestors" but assuming that the GNUmed non-clinician is satisfied, then
their ability to supply the information may be reasonable.

This would also be consistent with the non-clinician's current (as coded)
ability to attach documents.

Therefore, should it be possible for the non-clinician to generate an EMR
summary (this would mean to provide them access to the Write letter function).

Concerns about any abuse of privilege could be lessened by the fact that such
report-writing is always captured in the EMR Journal, even if the user did not
attach the document, even without the need for GNUmed to operate in a HIPAA
mode.

Maybe, however, this would over-complicate the access privileges?

-- Jim