Re: [Gnumed-devel] database replication with bucardo

From: Slappinjohn
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] database replication with bucardo
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2012 13:51:11 +0200

> If you find any tables w/o a PK which need to be replicated
> - tell me and we'll add a PK to them.
>
>> e.g. bucardo complains about all the audit.log* tables for not having a
>> primary key -- I think they need to be replicated, aren't they?
>
> It depends on what you want to achieve.
>
> If you don't need the complete change history on each server
> you don't need to replicate them at all (but they must
> exist) for GNUmed to function properly. GNUmed does not
> depend on any specific content within them. Maybe if you
> give a more detailed description on what you attempt to
> achieve we can better decide what to do about them.

I've two Gnumed-Server-instances, one in practice, one at home for
writing referral letters and do all the invoicing stuff. I tried it with
VPN/WAN-access before (30sec for a patient to show up) and NX (printing
didn't work properly), so the last working solution was to take a backup
on USB-Stick with me (bad situation when you've forgotten the last
backup at home and so will run into inconsistencies between the two
databases...)

So a replication is needed to do the encounter-stuff at work and the
document stuff at home

> Also, how does Bucardo insert data into target tables ?  By
> running SQL against them or by some lower level method ?

SQL - so it's said in the docs, haven't looked in the sources yet
(written in Perl)

Marc