Re: [Gnumed-devel] database replication with bucardo

From: Busser, Jim
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] database replication with bucardo
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2012 08:01:37 +0000

On 2012-07-04, at 11:24 PM, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

> Bucardo needs to contain code to either mediate or prevent
> such situations or else it is not fit for purpose.

I cannot see how the above can be enforced.

Imagine two distinct installations of GNUmed, which have been set up (in
Bucardo) as master-master, and suppose there is a loss of connectivity between
the two masters -- say an internet outage or even some lag in connectivity.

Is it being suggested that when clinician A is busy using master "A" and
clinician B is busy using master "B" that in the event of any loss of
connectivity (or responsiveness) the masters are to be rendered unable to add
new rows, because if they do add rows each master will be assigning pks based
on the local postgres counter and cannot know the state of the other master.

I can understand how each master might contribute notice (and the detail) of
every row change to a Bucardo daemon which, in the case of loss of
connectivity, would queue the notices and catch up once the connectivity was
re-established. But it leaves unanswered how the pks can be syncd.

The overview at Bucardo does not clearly enough answer this for my simple brain

        http://bucardo.org/wiki/Bucardo/Documentation/Overview

whereas this page suggests that postgres 'sequences' may need to be adjusted:

        http://bucardo.org/wiki/Bucardo/Sequences

-- Jim