Re: [Gnumed-devel] The future of patient care computing?

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] The future of patient care computing?
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2012 19:29:01 +0200

On Monday, July 09, 2012 05:10:37 PM Busser, Jim wrote:

>       http://www.cmaj.ca/content/184/10/E527.full?etoc
>
> This really does raise the question of, eventually,
>
> 1) how a patient's record (as contained in GNUmed) can be made more
> accessible to them and

Technically this isn't hard. Making it safe is another thing. There is some
ideas but not neccesarly code to be gotten from

http://www.open-emr.org/wiki/index.php/Patient_Portal

In the end it boils down to writing another client (e.g. webbased) and making
sure that a given login is associated with a subset (e.g. just one)

> 2) how a doctor using GNUmed may wish GNUmed to interact with an external
> system in which the patient may be managing their own health information.

A readily available choice would be IndivoX
http://indivohealth.org/

This is one-way however. No information to be pulled from a PHR.

> If GNUmed were deployed under a master-slave configuration, could one of the
> slaves be made available read-only?

Sure. Or the code could set up a read-only connection.

> Would it be reasonable to allow a patient to view (read-only) the
> information using a defined subset of plugins, in a way that

That is up to you to determine. Largely depends on your patients.

> - required them to provide sufficient identifiers (for example, a date of
> birth together with a health number) to uniquely match themselves and - to
> access an instance of GNUmed which is 'locked" to that record

This is one way but there are numerous. While I have thought about this for a
long time I have yet to understand the benefit of it.

Technically this can all be done.

Sebastian