Re: [Gnumed-devel] The future of patient care computing?

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] The future of patient care computing?
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2012 19:35:02 +0200

On Mon, Jul 09, 2012 at 05:10:37PM +0000, Jim Busser wrote:

> If GNUmed were deployed under a master-slave
> configuration, could one of the slaves be made available
> read-only?

Sure, no problem.

> Would it be reasonable to allow a patient to view
> (read-only) the information

Yes, certainly.

> using a defined subset of plugins,

I would advise against having the patient use the same
client as the provider, thusly, I advise against the idea,
though technically it is not impossible.

> in a way that
>
> - required them to provide sufficient identifiers (for example, a date of
> birth together with a health number) to uniquely match themselves and
> - to access an instance of GNUmed which is 'locked" to that record

Such "locked" always bears the risk of "not locked enough"
which is why I would recommend to

- use a *different* client with other capabilities to begin with

- NOT connect to the live database of the praxis but rather
  to an on-demand, this-patient-only copy (export) of that

This is also because there will be data which will carry a
need to be withheld from the patient.

GPG key ID E4071346 @ gpg-keyserver.de