Re: [Gnumed-devel] Workaround for prescriptions

From: Busser, Jim
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Workaround for prescriptions
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2012 18:01:29 +0000

On 2012-09-06, at 11:30 AM, Jim Busser <address@hidden> wrote:

So here is my next question… can a selection of items in the Medication plugin be processed in some way as to be able to provide a line return delimited text string concatenating

-- if the brand is non-null

<Brand> '(' <Substance> ')' <Strength> 'Sig' <Schedule> 'Mitte' <Duration / Until>

-- otherwise

<Substance> <Strength> 'Sig' <Schedule> 'Mitte' <Duration / Until>

and returning this to the user either via clipboard or popping open a window with the text auto-selected for copying?

Presently, GNUmed 1.2.3 medications plugin offers the buttons

Interactons?
Rx

which will pass the user (any any line item selection) to an external drug data source, if one had been configured. Shown in the screenshot is the list of what is supported in GNUmed client 1.2.3.

My limitations currently include:

1) FreeDiams does not currently support to cleanly pass, back to the EMR in a structured way, some of the details that may need to go into the prescription such as a specified number of tablets to be provided or whether or not the patient is authorized to obtain one or more 'refills', and

2) even if FreeDiams did, the GNUmed medications plugin is not intended to hold this information, it would only get captured in a PDF which will highly limit its usability

which is why I am favouring inputting prescription information somewhere in the narrative.

Can we add, to the current 'Drug data sources', a default selectable

User-defined prescription

and can gmMedication.py be adjusted so that in the case of a user-defined source, GNUmed can process (output) any selection of medication line items according to a modifiable template?

Where would the template best live? As a file on the hard drive (as with XDT files) which then permits customization, for example I would desire the inclusion of some line returns \\ as well as for each drug to be followed by a new line to be labelled 'Refills' while understanding that this could be inapplicable to other jurisdictions.

Also, can we introduce a separation (a split) in

GNUmed > Preferences > External tools > Drug data source

to provide separately for

GNUmed > Preferences > External tools > Drug interactions source

because currently GNUmed can only send prescriptions, and interactions-checking, to the same (single-configured) drug source. I would still like to be able to use FreeDiams for interactions checking.

-- Jim