Re: [Gnumed-devel] Postgres: Removing trailing decimal zeroes from medic

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Postgres: Removing trailing decimal zeroes from medication 'strengths'
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2012 21:02:09 +0200

On Thu, Sep 06, 2012 at 10:53:22AM +0000, Jim Busser wrote:

> Many of my medications acquired 'fake' precision, for example
>
> 250.0 mg
>
> but since the postgres documentation states that
>
> Numeric values are physically stored without any extra leading or trailing
> zeroes
>
> such trailing zeros must have somewhere crept in… maybe in the days before we
> implemented data packs (because mine do not contain trailing zeroes) and
> perhaps I did not clean out previously existing values of ingredients which
> maybe retained such trailing zeroes.
>
> At any rate, I want to remove them because it is advised to NOT use trailing
> zeroes (especially with hand-written prescriptions) because of the risk that
>
> 250.0
>
> could misread or misinterpreted as 2500.

Given the above explanation this may be considered a patient
safety issue. Hence I included, with the 1.2.4 release, a
fix for same.

The 17.4 database fixup will re-adjust all nnn.00... amounts
by dropping the "empty" scale. Any update or insert later on
will auto-drop any all-zero periodic decimal fractions. Thus
.00... should never get back in again.

GPG key ID E4071346 @ gpg-keyserver.de