Re: [Gnumed-devel] Android and iOs

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Android and iOs
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2013 18:34:33 +0100

On Wednesday, February 13, 2013 12:17:13 PM Rogerio Luz Coelho wrote:

> Has anyone attemped the porting to Android or iOs yet?

> How is the Web-frontend coming along Sebastian?

> Thanks again!!

Native Android or iOS support is not on the list currently. I am not aware of any efforts. GNUmed currently uses wxwidgets or wxpython for the frontend. It would take an iOS or Android port of wxwidgets or even wxpython

http://wxpython-users.1045709.n5.nabble.com/Android-and-wxPython-td3324637.html

For smaller screens it makes more sense to write a dedicated user interface which ideally reuses the existing GNUmed middleware. In other word any web framework will do.

One such framework is pyjamas and a proof of concept exists. It would take someone with genuine interest and ressources to make something usable. While I was able to manage a proof of concept (which loads of help from many diffrent people) it is well outside my skil set to develop and maintain a usable product.

Another way to takle this would be to ignore the middleware and use whatever web framework. I guess looking at PhoneGap could make sense. This could be done by someone with strong _javascript_ skills (more people can do this over python).

So in the end it is a matter of ressources. Throw enough money or time at it and it is certainly doable.

Sebastian