[Gnumed-devel] Refactoring emr_journal progress note output

From: Busser, Jim
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Refactoring emr_journal progress note output
Date: Mon, 6 May 2013 18:31:42 +0000

Hi …

I am using a GNUmed placeholder to output the past 12 months (52 weeks) of progress notes on a patient thusly:

$<emr_journal::soap//{\footnotesize %(date)s } & {\tiny %(modified_by)s} & {\tiny %(soap_cat)s} & {\small %(narrative)s} \tabularnewline//very long line//52//tex::>$

In this example, I

- inputted an allergy
- created a problem (using "Simple notes" plugin), and
- created a progress note (in Notes plugin)

After which the output (see screenshot of table) was presumably determined by postgres-assigned date-time stamps:

    a Putative subacute thyroiditis (in December 2012) resolved without evidence of anything more than mild goitre and small simple cysts not requiring intervention.
    p Inform patient there had been a typo in the original US report where the right cyst had been reported in cm not mm.
    a Health Issue (active, clinically relevant): Allergies/Intolerances;
    a Episode (closed): Allergy detail: Penicillin;
    s Sore throat improved post-clarithromycin for intercurrent "Strep throat"
    o Asymmetric thyroid slightly larger on the right.
Feb 21 2013: TSH N, anti-TPO < 28 U/mL
Apr 18 2013 US dimensions were
right lobe: 1.7 * 1.5 * 6.7 = 17.1 cm^3
left lobe: 1.8 * 1.4 * 5.1 = 12.9 cm^3
simple cysts left lower pole (max 7mm) and right upper (max 5mm)
    a Episode (open): Goitre, mild, with 2 small simple thyroid cysts;
    o Allergy (allergy): blistering rash substance: Penicillin; allergene: Penicillin;
    o Allergy state: does have allergies (last confirmed 2013-05-06 10:49)

but the above sequence breaks the convention in which we are used to understanding (brain-parsing) clinical notes.

Better would be:

[...]

However the challenges are several …

1) sort order within the current emr_journal appears to be purely datetime stamp, and I am not sure we can predict the sequence in which postgres will be writing various rows

2) maybe it is possible within emr_journal for all rows to sort by encounter and then, within encounter, by health issue (if applicable) then by episode

3) can we do anything to make

sort and be outputted in that order?

4) currently, we are assigning row type "a" to more than the traditional "assessment" … we currently also assign "a" to the namings of health issues and episodes.

What would be the involved if we should desire to assign such items instead to a different row type, like "A"?

-- Jim