Re: [Gnumed-devel] encounter type pre-selection

From: Busser, Jim
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] encounter type pre-selection
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 19:03:30 +0000

On 2013-06-17, at 10:46 AM, Karsten Hilbert <address@hidden> wrote:

> I have implemented a long-standing FIXME:
>
> When creating a new encounter GNUmed first looks whether
> "encounter.default_type" is set.
>
> If not it will now (and that's new) look for the most
> commonly used encounter type in the database (this is likely
> a sane default in most cases). Potential problems:

I remember once asking for the ability to accept or alter the encounter type at
the beginning of a patient activation.

The counter-argument is that this will cost time.

The rebuttal is that it depends on whether the default type remains appropriate
in more than 50% of cases. When the default is appropriate less often than in
50%, it will mean that some user will have to change the encounter type more
often than they will leave it the same.

One situation when it will cost no extra steps will be when the existing
encounter is between the minimum and maximum thresholds, when patient
activation already raises a modal dialog and asks whether to continue the
existing encounter, or to create a new one.

In this dialog, the user may realize the desire to want to:

- accept to continue the existing encounter, and keep its type (supported)
- accept to continue the existing encounter, and alter its type (not currently
supported)
- begin a new encounter, which is auto-assigned the most-commonly assigned type
(new)
- begin a new encounter, and over-ride the most-commonly assigned type (not
currently supported)

-- Jim